This week I decided that I would try a new recipe, again using my favorite lean meat, you guessed it turkey! The price is just so much better compared to ground beef. I also through this recipe would be great because I planned to double it, as I know chili freezes well. This week I am Quick Turkey Chili. I found the recipe on the real simple website. Lately I have been feeling overwhelmed and will defiantly appreciate something quick that produces leftovers!! Check out my first YouTube video!
The recipe is very simple and basic.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 114.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 115.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2teaspoons chili powder
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar
- 1/4 red onion, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook, crumbling with the back of a wooden spoon, until no trace of pink remains, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, beans, bell pepper, tomato paste, 1½ cups water, chili powder, and 1¼ teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Divide among bowls and top with the sour cream, Cheddar, and onion, if using.
The sour cream adds such a nice touch, so don’t hold back. I did skip the cheese to cut a few calories but it didn’t matter cause I ate two bowls. The chili is delicious and I have lots to freeze. Oh yeah and lets not forget what showed up as I was making supper. I can wait to tell you all about the fun and features the Fitbit Alta has.